Home Fire Safety Tips


  • If you leave stovetop cooking unattended, you're asking for a fire, especially when hot oil or frying is involved.
  • If  you have a stovetop grease fire, turn off the burner and cover the pan with a lid to cut off oxygen to the fire. Let the pan cool before removing the lid. Never try to take a burning pan to the sink and NEVER use water on a grease fire. Use a fire extinguisher only if you know how; if you stand too close, you'll only spread the flaming grease all over the kitchen.
  • For an oven fire, turn off the oven and keep the oven door closed until the fire is out and the oven cools.
  • Never leave the oven door open to heat the room. The oven can overheat and cause a fire.



  • Overloaded outlets with multiple outlets or extension cords cause fires.
  • Buy UL listed extension cords. Make sure the cord is the proper length for the job and designed to handle the current or wattage of the products being used.
  • Don't cut or splice for any reason. A splice is a cord's weakest point; using electrical tape doesn't make a splice safe.
  • Electrical cords should never be run under rugs or bundled up to take up excess. This can cause the cord to overheat.
  • Properly cover unused outlets to prevent accidental shock.
  • Install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI's) to protect all outside outlets and anywhere else water is present, such as outlets in bathrooms and near kitchen sinks.
Children's Fire Safety Coloring Book 8.5x11" version, 8 pages, PDF viewable (some assembly required)
Children's Fire Safety Coloring Book 11x17" (wide format), 4 pages, PDF Viewable