Valley Stream, New York

Building Department FAQs

When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required to construct, alter, or demolish a structure.


When do I get a permit?

A building permit must be obtained before the start of any work and must be prominently posted at the job site.


Can the Building Department refer a contractor or builder?

It is considered to be a conflict of interest for the Building Department to refer a contractor or builder.  There is a list of plumbers and electricians that have a Valley Stream license to work in the Village available.


Is a permit required for a fence, and how high can it be?

A fence permit is required for any fence installed in the Village.  You are allowed 3 foot in the front yard, 4 foot on the sides (between the houses) and 6 foot in the rear unless you are a corner lot.  A corner lot shall comply with fence regulations for front yard areas on each property line that is adjacent to the street and 4 foot on any other lot lines.


My Building permit has been denied, what can I do?

You can apply to the Board of Zoning Appeals, after you get a letter of denial from the plans examiner. Contact the Building Department for the procedure.


Can a homeowner do his/her own plumbing or electrical work?

Only a plumber or electrician with a Valley Stream license can do plumbing or electrical work in the Village and they must apply for a permit before the work begins.


How can I arrange for a building inspection?

You can call the Building Department for a building inspection between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday thru Friday.  (give the address and building permit number and what type of inspection you are requesting).


Can I speak to the Building Inspector/Plans examiner?

Yes, he is available to the public between the hours of 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. or 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Monday thru Friday.


What is the benefit of getting Building Permit?

Building permits are very beneficial to you and the community.  By working with an expert Code Official, you will benefit from his knowledge of building codes to ensure your construction project is built right, will be safe and will last.


Does my building permit expire? If so, When?

A building permit expires 18 months after the issue date if construction has begun or 6 months if no construction has commenced. 


Can I get an extension to an expired Building Permit?

One six month extension can be granted by the building department personnel at a cost of ½ the original building permit fee.  Any additional extension must be approved by the Building Department Superintendant.


How much does a building permit cost?  What is the fee structure?

Residential building permit fee is $50 for the first thousand dollars of construction cost and $6 each additional thousand dollars of cost.  Commercial building permit fee is $150 for the first thousand dollars of construction cost and $12 for each additional thousand dollars of cost.


Are there any other fees other than the building permit fee?

Yes, a certificate of occupancy/completion fee of $100 is required.


Do I need a permit for a swimming pool?

Yes, a permit is required for an above ground pool and a building permit is required for an in-ground pool.


I am replacing my sidewalk and driveway, do I need a permit?

Yes, a lines and grades permit is required for any concrete work done on the property. 

Clerks Department FAQs

What are the Clerk’s Department hours?

The Clerk’s Department is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday – Friday.

How can I contact the Clerk’s Department?

Village Hall at 825-4200 and press 5

Fax the Clerk’s Department at 825-8316

E-mail at


When are the Board of Trustee meetings?

The Board of Trustees Work Session - First Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. in the Board Room.

The Board of Trustees Regular Meeting – Third Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Court Room.  Please see “Meetings” link for dates and/or changes.


Where can I obtain a copy of the Board minutes of a meeting?

Please see the “Meetings” link and scroll to the bottom.  For inquiries, call the Clerk’s Department at 825-4200 ext. 5105.

Does the Village license animals?

The Clerk’s Department issues dog licenses.  Dogs four months and older require a license.  A certificate of spaying or neutering must be presented when obtaining a license.  The fee is $10.00 for each spayed or neutered dog and $18.00 for each unspayed or unneutered dog.  For inquiries or an application, call the Clerk’s Department at 825-4200 ext. 5114.

Does the Village have a dog park?

The Village Community Dog Park is located adjacent to the Village Hall parking area.  Annual Village Dog Park membership is $18.00 for residents, $55.00 for Central High School District Residents, and $110.00 for Town of Hempstead residents.

Dogs must be licensed and a dog park application can be obtained at the Clerk’s Department.  For inquiries or an application, call the Clerk’s Department at 825-4200 ext. 5114.

How do I obtain my birth certificate or a copy of a death certificate?

The Clerk’s Department has records of those who have been born or have died in the home or streets of the Village.  The cost for a certified copy is $10.00.  For inquiries or an application, call the Registrar’s office at 825-4200 ext. 5105. Click here to download Copy of Death Record - DOH-294a. Click here to download Copy of Birth Record - DOH-296a.

Do I need to license my business with the Village?

Businesses in the Village must be licensed.  After the business complies with all Building Department requirements, the Clerk’s Department issues a Mercantile Permit.  This permit licenses your business with the Village and the fee is $75.00 for a 5 year permit.  For inquiries or an application, call 825-4200 ext. 5114 or download application here.

Where do I register to vote or get an absentee voter ballot for a National Election?

Call Nassau County Board of Elections at 571-2411.

Where do I register to vote or get an absentee voter ballot for a Village Election?

Call the Clerk’s Department at 825-4200 ext. 5105.

Are door to door solicitors licensed?

Under the Code of the Village of Valley Stream there is generally no door-to-door solicitation. See the link for Village Codes

How do I obtain a Village Parking Permit?

The Clerk’s Department issues Resident, Non-Resident Commuter, Business and Commercial Parking permits.  See the "Permits" link.

Can I park overnight in the street?

There is no overnight parking on the streets of the Inc. Village of Valley Stream between the hours of 3:30 a.m. to 5:30 a.m.

What happens if I have guests staying overnight? 

The Clerk’s Department can issue a temporary parking permit.  For this permit call the Clerk’s Department at 825-4200 ext. 5114.

How can I obtain a handicap permit?

Download Handicap Permit Application MV-664.1 from our website.  You can also get more information and/or download forms at New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website  Resident completes Part 1, doctor completes Part 2.  Bring this form with your driver’s license to the Village Hall Clerk’s Department.

If you do not live in the village but need a handicap permit, call Nassau County Office of the Physically Challenged at 516-227-7399.

What are the licenses issued in the Clerk’s Department?

Besides dog licenses, the Clerk’s Department issues  licenses to second hand dealers, tow car companies, peddlers, fence contractors, private carters, landscape/gardeners, used car dealers and taxi drivers.  For inquiries and/or an application call 825-4200 ext. 5105.

How do I submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIL) request?

FOIL requests are submitted to the Clerk’s Department.  Forms may be obtained at the Clerk’s Department.  For further inquiries, call 825-4200 ext. 5105. Download FOIL application here.

Where do I obtain a passport?

Passports may be obtained at the Post Office (825-8739) or at Hempstead Town Hall (489-5000).

Where do I get a marriage license?

Marriages licenses may be obtained at Hempstead Town Hall.  For inquiries, call 489-5000. 

What do I do to have a block party?

Please complete and submit a Block Party application at least three weeks before your event. Click here to download an application.  For inquiries, call the Clerk’s Department at 825-4200 ext. 5106.

How do I rent or use a room at the A.J. Hendrickson Park Community Center?

For all Community Center inquiries, call 825-8571.

How do I obtain taxi coupons?

The Clerk’s Department issues taxi coupons to resident seniors age 62 and over.

There is a $1.00 discount on a regularly priced fare.  Proof of age is required. Come in or call the Clerk’s Department at 825-4200 ext. 5117.

Community Center FAQs

Where is the Community Center located?

The Community Center is located within Hendrickson Park at lakeside steps away from the Valley Stream Miniature Golf Course.

When is the Community Center open?

We are open 7 days a week. Monday – Friday 9AM – 9PM. Saturday and Sunday 8AM – 9PM.

At one time I would go to the “Administration Building” which is now the Community Center for my Pool Passes, where are the Pool Passes processed now?

Pool Passes are available at the Pool Complex.

Parking Stickers are available at the Valley Stream Village Hall.

What is the telephone number to the Community Centers?

The Community Center’s telephone number is: 516-825-8571.

What type of activities are available at the Community Center?

We offer programs for all ages.
- The Senior Citizen Program called “The Silver Threads” free to join for all Valley Stream Seniors.
- Zumba Classes
- Chair Yoga ($5 per class)
- Qigong
- Yoga
- Tae Kwon Do

Are rental rooms available at the Community Center?

Yes, the Valley Stream Community Center offers a variety of rooms which vary in size and occupancy. Rental rates are categorized as Private Parties, Community Service, (i.e. V.S. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts etc.), Valley Stream non-profit groups and Private Commercial (meetings). Please feel free to come down to the Community Center to view the rooms. For availability and rates call the C.C.

Do I have to be a Valley Stream resident to rent a room at the Community Center?

No. Non-residents are welcome. For availability and rates call the C.C.

Do we need a parking sticker in order to park strictly at the Community Center?

If you are using the facilities within the Community Center a parking sticker is not needed.

Can I host a birthday party at the Community Center?

Yes. Birthday Parties, Graduations, Showers, Baptisms and related celebrations can be hosted at the Community Center as well as business meetings, lectures and speakers. Call the C.C. for availability and rates.

Can I have hired entertainment at my party, a clown, magician, face painter, comedian etc.?

Yes, we request a “Certificate of Insurance” from each source of entertainment.

Would I be able to have my party at the Gazebo or at Lakeside?

Yes, both are seasonally available.  The Gazebo is set-up to accommodate your hired entertainment with several electrical outlets. We also have available at Lakeside a beautiful, tranquil, naturally decorated area  with green grasses, surrounded by Weeping Willows and Large Oaks. Weather permitting. RAINDATES will need to be scheduled.

Court FAQs

Where are you located?

Our address is 123 South Central Avenue, between Sunrise Hwy and Merrick Rd.

What are your hours?
Office hours are 8 AM to 4 PM (payment window open 8AM to 3:45PM), Monday through Friday.
Court begins at 7 PM. Check website for schedule.

Moving violations:

I have been issued a moving violation by a police officer. What do I do now?

You may plead guilty in person or by mail. Sign Part A, return it to this office with a copy of your license. You will receive a fine letter. (payments must be by money order or certified check, or in person with cash or credit card - Visa or Mastercard – with photo ID).

You may plead not guilty by signing Part B, and returning it to this office with a copy of your license or photo ID. You will receive a letter scheduling you for a conference.

Does this violation carry points?

All points are assessed by the NYS DMV. Please check their website for information regarding points.

Parking tickets:

The meter was broken. What can I do?

Contact this office as soon as possible (516-825-4200 ex. 5126) so that a report can be made, and the meter inspected.

I want to plead not guilty to a parking ticket. How can I do that?

You may mail your plea to this office. You will receive a letter scheduling you for a court date.

**For more information about the Village Court, please click here**

Recycling FAQs
My recycle bin is broken, how do I go about obtaining a new recycling bin?

To acquire a new bin you have two choices.  You may bring it up to 175 Arlington Avenue and we will replace it with a new one for you.  Or, you may call the Sanitation Department at 516-825-8108 and we will set up a day for you to leave it outside and the supervisor will come and swap it out for you.


I have lost my recycle bin, how do I go about obtaining a new recycling bin?

To acquire a new bin if you should lose your original one, there is a fee.  The charge for a new bin is $10.00 payable by check.  You could come to the Sanitation office located at 175 Arlington Avenue and purchase one.  Or, you may print out the form on the Sanitation home page and mail it in with your check.


How do I recycle old phone books?

You may place old phone books out with your magazines and newspapers by tying them up and placing them next to your recycle bin.


Can I recycle pots and pans or dishes?

No, unfortunately we are not able to recycle those materials at this time.


Can I recycle light bulbs?

Light bulbs go out with your regular garbage and should not be placed in your recycle bins.


Are hangers recyclable?

No, neither plastic or wire hangers go in your recycle bin.  To dispose of such items please place them in your regular garbage.


What do I do with pizza boxes or cardboard juice containers?

Unfortunately, at this time we do not accept colored cardboard for our recycle collection.  We can only accept plain brown corrugated cardboard.  Any other cardboard is to be placed out with the regular garbage.


Can I recycle all plastics?

No, unfortunately at this time we can only accept #1 and #2 plastics.  You will find this number underneath the item.  There is a triangle with a number on the bottom of all plastics.  If it is #1 or #2 then you can place it in your recycle bin.  All other plastics should be placed with your regular garbage. 


Can I recycle Styrofoam? 

No, the Village does not accept that material for recycling.  You may place it with your regular garbage.


*Any other questions call the Sanitation Department at 516-825-8108*

**For additional information about recycling, please click here**


Sanitation FAQs
What size garbage pail can I buy?

Village code states no pail should be larger than 32 gallons.


What are the dumping hours for the Sanitation Department?

The Sanitation Department is open from 7 a.m. till 2 p.m. for dumping.


Where is the Sanitation dumping facility located?

We are located at 175 Arlington Avenue, Valley Stream, NY 11580.


Is there a fee for residential dumping?

Yes there is.  Construction debris including but not limited to, wood, sheetrock, paneling, flooring etc. is $120.00 per ton.  Agriculture, grass, leaves and tree debris is $90.00 per ton.  Concrete is $60.00 per ton.


What forms of payment do you accept for dumping?

We ONLY accept checks at this time.


Do I need to bring anything with me when I dump?

You will need a check and your license in order to be able to dump at our facility.


Can I throw batteries away with my garbage?

Batteries are now accepted as part of our E-Waste collection.  You can either drop off your batteries or you may call to have a pick up scheduled at 516-825-8108.


Can I put my agriculture out with my regular garbage?

Agriculture may only be placed at the curb on Wednesdays.  There will be no Agriculture collection during the week if Monday is an Observed Village Holiday.  See the Holiday Schedule for more details or call the Sanitation office at 516-825-8108. 


What time can I place my garbage out at the curb?

According to Village Code, Garbage may be placed at the curb after 6 p.m. the night before your scheduled collection.


Is there a limit to how much garbage I may put out at one time?

According to Village Code, you are permitted to have 250 pounds of garbage per week.  Anything more than this is considered excessive and will not be picked up.


What time does the Sanitation Department start picking up Garbage?

The Sanitation Department begins picking up garbage at 6:30 a.m.  Garbage should be placed at the curb prior to this time.

**For additional information about sanitation, please click here**

Seniors/Silver Threads FAQs

Who can sign up for the Valley Stream Seniors “Silver Threads” program?

If you are a resident of Valley Stream and of the age of 55 or older you may sign up to become a member. There is no membership fee. Proof of residency and date of birth required.

When do the “Silver Threads” meet?

The senior program at the Community Center is 4 days a week: Tuesday’s 10am to Noon, Wednesday’s 11am to 4pm, Thursday’s 1pm to 4pm, and Friday’s 11am to 4pm. With the exception of Monday’s for the scheduled trips to Green Acres Mall. Below please find a list of activities:

Games: Domino’s, Mahjong, Rummikub and Scrabble
Card Games
Bocce (seasonal)
Chair Yoga
Bus trips to Aqueduct, Green Acres Mall, King Kullen, Trader Joe's, Key Food, Panera Bread, Food World, and Valley Stream Library
A day of Beauty trip offered by the Cosmetology Dept at Central H.S. (Available September - June)
AARP Defense Driving Course offered at the Community Center (The fourth Friday of each month, September through May)
Various Holiday Parties

I am already a member of the “Silver Threads” how can I arrange to be picked up by the Valley Stream Senior bus in order to participate on the trips?

In order to arrange for a bus pick up please call the Community Center at 516-825-8571

Can Men sign up for the “Silver Threads”?

Absolutely! The men can play cards, Bocce Ball and participate in any of the other activities that the group may be involved with, including Trips, Games and socializing.

Do I need a parking sticker when “strictly” parking at the Community Center?

Yes, once you have signed up to become a Silver Thread, you will then receive a Community Center parking sticker.

Is the Community Center Handicap Accessible?

Yes, the Community Center is Handicap friendly.

Do you allow smoking or pets at the Community Center?

Smoking and pets are prohibited.

Tax Department FAQs

When are Village Taxes Due?

Village taxes are paid annually and are due June 1st and payable without penalty no later than July 1st.  Payments can be made by cash, check, or money order made payable to Valley Stream Receiver of Taxes and should have the Parcel Section, Block and Lot on it. Taxes can be paid in person, through the mail, or online at .


What is the penalty on late taxes paid late?

Any taxes received after July 1st are subject to a five percent penalty for July and an additional one percent per month penalty thereafter.


Do you accept a payment postmarked by July 1st but received after the due date?

Yes, we do accept payments as of U.S. postmark date.


Can I make a payment by Credit Card?

Credit card payments can only be made online for a fee through Munitrax which can be found on our website at


Can I make a partial payment?

No, unfortunately, the Village at no time accepts partial payment of taxes.


What happens if I can’t pay my taxes?

Taxes unpaid after July 1st will be subject to a five percent penalty for July and an additional one percent per month thereafter until the first Tuesday in May, at which point they will be sold at the annual Lien Sale.


I just purchased my house.  How do I have the owner and mailing address changed?

All mailing and ownership changes must be done in writing. For new owners, please be sure to include the new owners name and correct mailing address, the property address and Section Block and Lot as well as a copy of the deed. For mailing address changes please be sure to include the new mailing address as well as the property address and Section, Block and Lot.


My mortgage was recently satisfied.  Is there anything I need to do?

Many residents assume that their mortgage company will notify us of the satisfaction, but this is not always true. Once you receive notification of your mortgage being satisfied, send a copy of that along with a letter stating how your name should appear on the bill and an address where all future bills should be mailed.

What can I do if I feel my property is being over assessed?

Any property owner has the right to challenge their property assessment either individually or through a representative. The grievance filing period is February 1st through the third Tuesday of February which is Grievance Night from 4PM-8PM where the Board of Assessment Review meets to go over all the complaints filed. For any complaints denied, the next step is filing a Small Claims Petition which can be filed after obtaining a Nassau County Small Claims court AR number between April 1st and May 1st, again individually or through a representative.


How do I get a S.T.A.R. exemption on my property?

The S.T.A.R. exemption is a reduction of school taxes which are payable to the Town of Hempstead, not the Village of Valley Stream. Any questions or requests for information or application on the S.T.A.R. program should be directed to Nassau County Department of Assessment at 516-571-1500 or


I am turning 65.  Do you offer any tax relief for Senior Citizens?

The Village offers a Senior Citizen exemption to any person 65 and over making a total household income of less than $28,900 which includes all reportable income including Social Security. The filing period is September 1st thru December 31st. Please call September 1st for an application.


I am a Veteran.  Do you offer any tax relief for Veterans?

The Village offers an Alternative Veterans exemption to those Veterans who have served during a war time. We offer a 15% exemption for those Veterans who served during a war time and an additional 10% for those who served in a combat zone. We also offer additional exemption to those Veterans that are disabled at the rate of half the total Veterans disability. We also offer a 10% Cold War Veterans exemption to those Veterans who didn’t serve during a “war time”. Please call for further information and an application.

Does the Village offer any tax relief for persons with disabilities?

The Village offers a Disability exemption for persons on Social Security Disability whose total household income is less than 28,900 per year which includes Social Security and all reportable income. The filing period for this exemption is September 1st thru December 31st. For further information or an application, please contact our office at 516-825-4200.

Does the Village offer tax relief for Firefighters?

The Incorporated Village of Valley Stream offers a 10% exemption to all Valley Stream Fire Department Firefighters with more than 5 years of service. The filing period is September 1st thru December 31st.  For an application, please call our office.

Home | Mayor's Welcome Message | Around the Village Photos | Auxiliary Police - Unit 108 | Community Calendar | Community News | Emergency Alert & Notification System | Employment Opportunities | Getting Around | Library | Local Links | Local Sports | Map | Meetings | Permits | Valley Stream Schools | Veterans' Affairs | Village Codes | Village Green Newsletters | FAQs | Contact Us | Village Officials | It's Fare To Say | Village Directory | Village Departments | Parks and Recreation
powered by